[OPLINLIST] Playaways: A question of security

Beth Hatch bhatch at twinsburglibrary.org
Fri Nov 14 11:37:13 EST 2008

We have over 200 playaways in our library and started out using the lock
and key system, but found it was highly unneccessary. Now, we no longer
purchase the lock and keys. People will steal the batteries out of the
players, but they can do that after they check it out as well.

Steve Cook wrote:

> I'm hoping those of you Playaway experienced folk can help us with a
> question we have about this new (for us, anyway) format for audio
> books. We are going to start circulating Playaways in January.  What,
> if anything, are those of you who already have them in circulation
> doing for security? Recorded Books, who will be supplying our start-up
> collection, has a key-and-lock system available, but we have no
> comparable system with our audio books on tape or CD, and have not had
> much of a theft problem with them. The size and portability of the
> Playaway, however, raises the question: will they have a higher theft
> potential than the audios in other formats?  Any hints, suggestions
> and/or advice would be most appreciated.
>
> So thank you all in advance.
>
> Stephen Cook
> Reference Librarian
> Delaware County District Library
>
> "Do...or do not. There is no 'try'."

Librarian
Public Relations and Marketing
Twinsburg Public Library
330-425-4268 ext. 2

Twinsburg Public Library
Entertainment ~ Education ~ Excellence

--
If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. Please
note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the