[OPLINLIST] the end of Novelist

Donald Boozer donald.boozer at cpl.org
Mon Oct 27 08:46:36 EDT 2008

I'll be sorry to see Novelist leave our statewide resources, but I certainly understand the economic realities of database subscriptions. In light of this upcoming change, I have the following suggestions for some free online readers advisory resources:

BookHive
http://www.plcmc.org/bookhive/
>From the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County, NC, for children through 6th grade
This site has a wealth of suggestions using its "Find a Book" feature.

WhichBook.net
http://www.whichbook.net/
Allows for setting levels on several "gauges" (happy-sad, gentle-violent, conventional-unusual, etc.) and finding books that exhibit those characteristics.

Stop You're Killing Me!
http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/
An excellent resource for mystery readers

Soon's Historical Fiction
http://www.histfiction.net/
This site has a lot of information on historical fiction for all time periods. Click on "Books" at the top for an assortment arranged by timeline.

Fiction_L Booklists
http://www.webrary.org/rs/FLbklistmenu.html
The ever-popular Fiction_L list of lists.

All About Romance
http://www.likesbooks.com/
A good place for romance readers to find the perfect match.

These are just a few of the suggestions I would recommend for KnowItNow24x7 agents working on a readers advisory question or anyone trying to help a patron (or themselves) find a good read.

I'll look forward to reading others suggestions from OPLIN-listers for online RA sources.
*******************
Donald Boozer
KnowItNow24x7 Coordinator
Cleveland Public Library