[OPLINLIST] Odorous issue

Linda Hren lhren at newcomerstownlibrary.org
Tue Apr 14 16:05:17 EDT 2009

We seem to be having an increase in problems with patrons with major
body odor issues.    It is affecting other library users as well as the
staff who have to wait on these people.    The people in question are
not homeless or transient or disruptive.   They just smell awful.
Has anyone dealt with this successfully?    What do you do?   I have
seen conduct policies that address the issue somewhat but I have not
seen any suggestions for how to tactfully tell a patron that they stink
and that they need to clean up a bit before coming to the library.

Linda K. Hren, Director
Newcomerstown Public Library
123 East Main Street
Newcomerstown, Ohio 43832