[OPLINLIST] Librarian Jobs Legislation

Jo Budler JBUDLER at sloma.state.oh.us
Wed Dec 16 16:35:44 EST 2009

Emily Sheketoff, Director of the American Library Association Washington
Office, has been busily working to attempt to get funding for libraries
through an anticipated jobs bill entitled the Jobs for Main Street Bill.
I just received notice that this bill is coming to the House floor
today.  ALA requests that we notify the public librarians in our states
so that they might call their Congressman today and both Senators
tomorrow in order to get librarian jobs included in the Jobs for Main
Street Bill.

I have attached two documents which I received as background
information.

Here are some of the highlights in these documents:

1.      The proposal for saving libraries and helping America get back
to work would be to provide a one-time $650 million to be distributed on
a need basis through the Institute of Museum and Library Services
(IMLS).

2.      This proposal would create up to 13,000 library jobs in a few
short months meaning this is a shovel-ready project.

3.      The money would be used for library jobs that are focused on
assisting patrons with getting back to work - thereby having the impact
of assisting literally millions of Americans find employment.  None of
these funds would be used for facilities or equipment.

4.      Funds would be limited to hiring back staff released due to
budget cuts, recruiting new staff and/or expanding staff services around
job searching and employment skills training.

5.      These funds would be distributed in a clear, concise,
affirmative manner.  Funds would be distributed to states using a
formula through IMLS based 50 percent on population, and 50 percent on
relative unemployment (similar to the Department of Labor's Dislocated
Worker Program).

Please also note that there is a Maintenance of Effort clause which
specifically states:  Any grant made shall only be used for the library
and no portion of any grant made under this appropriation shall revert
to the general fund of a municipality nor shall any grant be used to
reduce the library's appropriation.

I apologize for the late notice but we just received this information
ourselves!

Best wishes,

Jo

Jo Budler, State Librarian

State Library of Ohio

274 East First Ave, Suite 100, Columbus, OH 43201

Phone:  614-644-6843; 800-686-1532 (Ohio only)

Fax: 614-466-3584

http://www.library.ohio.gov <blocked::http://www.library.ohio.gov/>

"The State Library of Ohio provides services and resources to assist
state government and libraries in providing the best service to all."