[OPLINLIST] Patron Conduct Policy

Linda Hren lhren at newcomerstownlibrary.org
Fri Mar 6 11:32:36 EST 2009

Hello,

We are revising our patron conduct policy to include a progressive
discipline component.   I am trying to determine what range of
disciplinary actions are reasonable and effective in preventing repeat
problems.

Some questions we have are:

Do any libraries ban permanently banning  patrons from ever returning to
library premises?

If so, under what circumstances does that action occur?    Is there any
type of appeal process for the patron?

If patrons are banned for breaking the law are they banned when arrested
or when convicted of a crime?

Can the patron apply for re-instatement if they can reasonably
demonstrate that the behavior that caused them to be banned will not
occur again?  (For example: completing anger management counseling  if
they were banned for  fighting on library property.)

How do you handle patrons that are registered sex offenders etc.?

What is your policy regarding  unruly children when parents are present
but ignoring the problem behavior?

I have been looking at sample conduct policies and many do not have a
progressive discipline component.  Those that I have found that do,
don't seem to be go into great detail.

The fundamental concern we have is how do we develop policies that are
clear and enforceable  that also ensure the library is a safe and
pleasant environment for all our users and staff.

Linda K. Hren, Director

Newcomerstown Public Library

123 East Main Street

Newcomerstown, Ohio 43832