[OPLINLIST] CLC signs with Polaris

Carol Roddy croddy at clcohio.org
Wed Mar 11 12:43:55 EDT 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CENTRAL OHIO LIBRARIES ENHANCE COOPERATION

(Lithopolis, Ohio) - The Central Library Consortium (CLC), a group of eight library systems in central Ohio with a long history of cooperative projects, announces that it has selected Polaris(r) ILS as its next generation shared library system.  Polaris enables the CLC to retain their forward-thinking technology implementation and positions the group for growth, expanded collaboration with other libraries, and cost effective service to the people of central Ohio.

For libraries, an integrated library system (or ILS) is the core management system for cataloging, circulating, and finding items as well as managing their patrons. By sharing a single ILS the libraries of the CLC save the cost of eight separate hardware installations, eight separate software licenses, and the cost of the staff to manage systems in eight separate libraries. At the same time each local library retains control over policies, procedures, and patron relationships. Each local library retains its own Web identity; the consortium works in the background.

"Belonging to a consortium significantly reduces our overhead expenses." says Ryan McDonnell, the Director of Marysville Public Library. "Collaboration allows us to make the best use of our limited public funds. Our patrons have access to more materials and services than we would ever be able to provide on our own." Mary Ludlum, the director of the Grandview Heights Public Library adds, "Polaris provides our public with more flexible options for searching the catalog, requesting items, and searching databases-and also with options such as on-line payment."

The Polaris(r) ILS allows the libraries to set up different policies while still sharing resources. Its open standards-based design will enable the CLC to communicate seamlessly with other libraries on Polaris systems, and make participation in statewide resource sharing projects easier. CLC Libraries will continue to retain local identity, local services, and local policies, while resource sharing provides their users with a wider body of material in the most cost-effective manner possible. The addition of Polaris Fusion(tm) will enable them to expose digital content to Web crawlers, making their jointly held digital assets, such as Photohio, widely available.

"We are delighted with the Board's decision," said Carol Roddy, the CLC's new Executive Director. "Polaris Library Systems' track record for developing solid products, commitment to open standards, and their responsive customer support were major factors in our decision to go with this company."

The Central Library Consortium (CLC) was created by the member libraries to establish, maintain, and operate a computerized library network in order to promote resource sharing among member libraries and to increase access to information for their patrons. The member libraries are the Alexandria Public Library, Fairfield County District Library, Grandview Heights Public Library, Marysville Public Library, Pickaway County District Public Library, Pickerington Public Library, Plain City Public Library, and Wagnalls Memorial Library. For more information about the CLC visit www.clcohio.org<http://www.clcohio.org>.

Polaris Library Systems is a leading provider of library technology. From its beginning thirty years ago, it has served libraries with time-saving technology, from its first circulation system in the mid-1970s through its third-generation Polaris Integrated Library System. In addition to its library automation systems, Polaris Library Systems offers workflow analysis, database enhancement, wireless access and network services to libraries. For more information about Polaris Library Systems, visit www.polarislibrary.com/<http://www.polarislibrary.com/>.

###

Contact:
Carol Lynn Roddy
Executive Director