[OPLINLIST] FW: adult twilight party

Megan Alabaugh m.alabaugh at rrpl.org
Fri Nov 20 11:57:24 EST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Megan Alabaugh
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 11:20 AM
To: 'Linda Hermiller'
Subject: RE: [OPLINLIST] adult twilight party

Hi Everyone,

I just had a Twilight/New Moon Party for my teens, but I think that some
of the things we did would work well for an adult party as well so I
thought I would share.

For my party activities I bought Scene It, Twilight Edition ($26 after
discounts at Books-a-Million). I set up a big screen and used a
projector. I set the game on "party shuffle" mode and that was it. There
were always at least a half dozen kids (and staff members!)following
along shouting out answers.

I found some free downloadable bookmarks that were very cool.
http://images.birthdayinabox.com/biabsite/downloads/vampire_bookmark.pdf
I copied them onto cream colored card stock and laminated them. I bought
some fancy gold ribbon (.33/ea at patan catans) and let everyone punch a
hole and thread some ribbon on their bookmarks.

Another craft that I had was making your own body shimmer. For $30 I
bought 50 1.5 oz jars at Pat Catan's, gold glitter, and 2 big bottles of
lotion. The kids put some lotion in the jar, added some glitter and
stirred-viola, vampire skin! This was kind of messy and if you are going
to try this I recommend reminding people to leave enough room in their
jars to stir.

I had trivia and word searches, with prizes for the highest scores.

Finally, I had a pin the fangs on the vampire set up. 2 posters of
Rob/Edward taken from one of our many teen magazines (We remove the
center fold posters before putting them in circulation), 3 sets of paper
fangs, and some blindfolds. Seriously, this was the most popular
activity! Maybe it helped that I had a huge stack of magazine posters to
give away.

One local theater donated a pair of guest passes and I purchased an
additional pair to raffle off. I also found some New Moon magnets that I
gave as prizes for my trivia game.

Food was a punch bowl full of cherry Kool-Aid, sugar cookies shaped like
moons and dog bones, and vampire bitten cupcakes. The cupcakes were a
pain in the neck to make, but so cute that it was worth it. White cake,
white frosting, and cherry pie filling are needed. Cut the tops of the
cupcakes, fill with pureed pie filling, replace top, frost, then stab
with toothpick to make fang marks, dribble cherry into the holes to look
like blood trickles. A lot of work!

All in all I spent a little over $100 and 45 kids attended.

Another activity that was suggested, but I did not have a chance to do
was Team Edward/Team Jacob Debate. Adults might really get into debating
the merits of each!

Good luck

Megan Alabaugh
Teen Librarian