[OPLINLIST] Books Recycling Followup

Gerry Vogel gvogel at avonlake.lib.oh.us
Wed Sep 16 20:06:55 EDT 2009

Some other folks asked if I got responses and were curious about options for
this.

So here is a summary:

Different counties have different facilities

(Seneca/Wyandot Co. names as one that rips covers off books for separate
recycling, as well as Wood Co. Recycling Center in Bowling Green,.  Some
county MR/DD programs do recycling.  It's possible McMRF in Montgomery Co.
does).

Some local colleges and universities recycle textbooks.
Here's how:  http://www.greenearthbookrecyclers.com/
(based in Grafton WI, drop boxes are shipped)

They are partnered with:

http://www.book-destruction.com
dba Grossman Environmental Recycling in Columbus.
grinds everything up.

I also got mentions and recommends for Better World Books.  We use them
already, but they only take what passes their screening process.
B-Logistics does similar work (and sells other media), but it looks like
they want stuff they can resell and they want palletized shipments.

State Library of Ohio says:  “We currently have a no-cost no-pay
agreement with Royal Paper Stock here in Columbus as a recycling vendor and
we have a reciprocal agreement with the same small company that SEO uses for
books, which is Brett Bringarner and I believe he is based out of
Marietta..."

And he is......
http://www.book-recycling.com/home.html

SLO also mentioned
http://www.medinapaper.com/
where a recycler they used took the books.

Apparently this outfit takes books as well as old computer parts.  Based in
Columbus a few other locations but not much up north yet...)
http://ohiodropoff.com/

and from our neighbors in Amherst:
We use a touch knife to remove the covers and recycle the insides – It only
takes a few seconds, and we recycle through Abitibi, so we are paid by
weight. That kind of covers the cost of removal and we aren’t filling up the
landfills with the insides at least.

And I thought one needed a table saw to do this right!

We are getting Abitibi boxes soon, we have already been dumping mags and
newspapers in the school's across the street.  We figure we are not taking
their turf as there is plenty to recycle.

Our local waste haulers aren't really interested in collecting this without
fees that make it prohibitive.

Will be making calls soon.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and help.

--
Gerry Vogel, MLIS
Assistant Director, Avon Lake Public Library

*any opinions expressed are my own and not (necessarily, or yet) those of
ALPL*

Join OHIO :  http://sites.google.com/a/avonlake.lib.oh.us/ohio/