[OPLINLIST] Subject: How many libraries are purchasing plastic bags to give out to library patrons?

Marsha Wagner marsha at canalfultonlibrary.org
Wed Dec 29 10:28:47 EST 2010

Are any libraries on the OPLIN listserve purchasing plastic bags to pass out
to the public?  We used to do this but it cost $1,400 a year to provide
these and we tried a couple of cloth bags but patrons do not wish to pay for
them.  If you are still purchasing sturdy plastic bags do you charge the
patrons for the bags?  Do you recoup all the cost of the bag or just a
partial cost?

Our Juvenile staff noted that re-using old plastic grocery bags is not
working as they break.  We offer a sturdy room canvas bag for $3.00, yet
because of the economy patrons do not wish to purchase these.  We
participated in the NEO-RLS cloth bag purchase yet parent did not like these
as they were not roomy enough for picture books.  Sending our boxes with
parents who have to hold their young child's hand also does not work either.