[OPLINLIST] Volunteers in the Library: Fingerprinting and Background Checks

Maggie B readingisimportant at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 10:19:30 EST 2010

Good Morning,

I am of the opinion that volunteers working in the Children's Department of
our public library should be background checked before beginning service.
When I checked into the cost and process, I found that the $30 BCI
background check only covers the state of Ohio, while the $60 BCI/FBI
background check covers the entire United States.

How do you handle the background check process for library volunteers?  Are
there any alternatives, perhaps from other agencies, to the $60 fee for the
nationwide check and fingerprinting?

Do you have any other worthwhile procedures in place for dealing with adult
volunteers in the library?

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with me,

Maggie
Maggie Bollar
Children's Librarian
New Carlisle Public Library
111 E. Lake Ave.
New Carlisle, OH  45344
937-845-3601, ext. 207
readingisimportant at gmail.com
http://www.new-carlisle.lib.oh.us
"It takes a long time to become young." -  Pablo Picasso