[OPLINLIST] Disaster planning hints?

Shelley Bylica bylicash at oplin.org
Fri Dec 31 16:51:09 EST 2010

David,

I am also working on a disaster plan/manual for my library as well. I have
already done a lot of reading and research.

I read your email and think: Potential water damage. Old wiring = fire
potential. I might be wrong, but that's my first impression.

Webjunction has great materials.
http://www.webjunction.org/disaster-planning.

I was also glancing in a Gaylord catalogue at items for Emergency response
kits and Materials Salvage Kit. Therein, there was mention about Dplan -- an
online disaster-planning template prepared by the Northeast Document
Conservation Center (NEDCC) and the development of which was funded by the
Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). Something free/nonprofit
mentioned in a commercial catalogue? I'm not sure what to think yet, though
it does indeed sound authoritative. Have you encountered this before?

Any one else working on disaster plans? Was there any consensus on using
Color codes in libraries to announce emergencies?

I forget if it was at the state or national level, I remember some talk
about a platform to share library publications. Wouldn't it be interesting
if disaster plans were shared through such a platform? And tagged per
characteristics of the institutions it affects. Ie: High ground, small
libraries, tornadoes. OR: flood prone, large library, blizzards. If anyone
has heard of this, please let me know.

David, I appreciate your post.

OPLINLIST: I appreciate your feedback.

Happy New Year!