[OPLINLIST] Convenience fee for looking up a card number

Chauncey Montgomery montgoc1 at oplin.org
Tue Jul 13 10:45:26 EDT 2010

>From the user's standpoint, requiring patrons to use their account
numbers to access the Internet is an inconvenience.  I understand that
we may need to use software to manage public computer use, but we must
remember that the PC management software is an obstacle to accessing
information.  Then, to charge a fee if the user doesn't have his card
would only create another barrier.  I would be wary of doing so and
consider how we would feel as a customer, if we were charged a fee to
look up our account number.

Just a side note, a local bank now charges customers a fee for looking
up account balances.  I can only guess that the bank instituted the fee
to generate more money or to dissuade individuals from asking for their
balance.  In either case, I see no benefit to the customer in charging
such a fee, and this policy reveals that the bank isn't really
interested in the needs of its customers.

We should be constantly trying to improve the user's experience;
therefore, we always need to consider the impact of our policies and
procedures.

Hope this helps,
Chauncey

Chauncey G. Montgomery, MLIS