[OPLINLIST] Convenience fee for looking up a card number

Hamrick, Lisa Lisa.Hamrick at cincinnatilibrary.org
Wed Jul 14 12:12:56 EDT 2010

Another thought,
I would hate to have libraries be perceived as acting similarly to the banks and the airlines - charging a little here and a little there to nickel and dime the customers to death.

As an airline customer I hate being charged for my baggage - just charge more for the ticket.  And at the bank, the same applies for looking up my account balance.

At the library, if you give me the chance to look up my account number myself, I will do so, but if the only way I can obtain the information (if I don't have my card with me) is to get library staff to look it up, I don't want to be charge.  Perhaps at this point of contact, if every circulation assistant said, "Would you like to get a replacement card, today?  If you bring your card with you, you will be free to log onto the Internet and check out books more easily!" the customers would understand that having the card on hand results in benefits.
Lisa

Lisa Hamrick
Manager, Children's Learning Center
The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
Lisa.Hamrick at CincinnatiLibrary.org
513-369-6988
It’s showtime! Summer Reading 2010 - Lights! Camera! READ! June 1 thru July 31 at Your Public Library. Sign up at www.cincinnatilibrary.org/summerread!