[OPLINLIST] Convenience fee for looking up a card number

Sue Banks sue.banks at kentonlibrary.org
Tue Jul 13 13:04:36 EDT 2010

I'm listening to a book on CD right now that talks about similar issues and decisions ("Predictably Irrational" by Dan Ariely) in which the author (behavioral economist from MIT) describes the outcomes of studies in which effort was measured against payment (or lack thereof).  When people pay for a service, there is an accompanying "monetary market" contract in their minds that absolves them of guilt or personal "unwritten" responsibilities and limits their output to "what it's worth to me."  When there is no money involved, there is a "social market" understanding of the exchange (he uses the example of what would happen if you offered your mother-in-law $300 in payment for a great Thanksgiving dinner) which makes people perform better because "it's the right thing to do."   I'll attach a .pdf of the journal article that describes the study and it's outcomes.

Listening to the book has made me think in detail about our inclination in difficult financial times in Library Land to institute fees for services - or perhaps trying to "train" people not to do things that the staff finds irritating or irresponsible, like forgetting their library cards or barcode numbers, by imposing financial costs to the behavior.  There is much evidence in Ariely's studies to indicate that by linking cost recovery fees to previously "free" services, we not only open ourselves to microscopic financial scrutiny for "fairness" and accountability, we also break a long-standing contract with our communities that is primarily a social one, not a market one (the "we never charge for library services" model which I'm beginning to believe has much more muscle than I previously thought).  I'm only about halfway through the book, so there's still lots more to contemplate on the gossamer nature of the support for "free public libraries."

My (and Dan Ariely's) $.02
Sue

Susan Banks, Manager
Erlanger Branch