[OPLINLIST] repeatedly bad patrons

Laura Thorne thornela at oplin.org
Tue Jul 20 12:45:43 EDT 2010

I am sure we all have these patrons, those who have multiple overdues for
months on end.  We have a family with 6 or 7 kids who have returned books
with bugs in them, unknown liquids spilled on them, and various other
unsavory habits.  Right now, each member of the family has multiple
overdues, with lots of fines (yes, we charge fines, even for children).
None of them are able to check out because of the fines and overdues.  The
last bag of books they returned in the bookdrop had roaches in it, and the
books were filthy (in many ways).  My staff wants the whole family blocked
from checking out, even if they are able to settle all their accounts.  This
is not the first incident of having to discard materials because of damage,
bugs and soil.  The staff insists they have proven they are not responsible
in handling library materials.  They tend to pay off one card, so then
everyone in the family will check out on that card until those materials are
overdue.  My head tells me that, once the fines are paid, they can check out
again but my heart feels differently.  Should we continue to allow this
family to ruin books?  Have patrons been banned/blocked for repeatedly
ruining books?
I am sure someone will say, "at least they are using the library" and other
pc comments but I am tired of cleaning up and calling the exterminator.  If
it were not a repeated incident, I would not even bring up the question but
it is a pattern.  Any thoughts?

Laura Thorne
Director
Jackson City Library