[OPLINLIST] repeatedly bad patrons

Reference Desk gawref at oplin.org
Wed Jul 21 12:07:45 EDT 2010

On 7/20/2010 12:45 PM, Laura Thorne wrote:
> I am sure we all have these patrons, those who have multiple overdues for
> months on end.  We have a family with 6 or 7 kids who have returned books
> with bugs in them, unknown liquids spilled on them, and various other
> unsavory habits.  Right now, each member of the family has multiple
> overdues, with lots of fines (yes, we charge fines, even for children).
> None of them are able to check out because of the fines and overdues.  The
> last bag of books they returned in the bookdrop had roaches in it, and the
> books were filthy (in many ways).  My staff wants the whole family blocked
> from checking out, even if they are able to settle all their accounts.  This
> is not the first incident of having to discard materials because of damage,
> bugs and soil.  The staff insists they have proven they are not responsible
> in handling library materials.  They tend to pay off one card, so then
> everyone in the family will check out on that card until those materials are
> overdue.  My head tells me that, once the fines are paid, they can check out
> again but my heart feels differently.  Should we continue to allow this
> family to ruin books?  Have patrons been banned/blocked for repeatedly
> ruining books?
> I am sure someone will say, "at least they are using the library" and other
> pc comments but I am tired of cleaning up and calling the exterminator.  If
> it were not a repeated incident, I would not even bring up the question but
> it is a pattern.  Any thoughts?
>
> Laura Thorne
> Director
> Jackson City Library

> http://aboutbooks.info -- Search for author, title, subject... anything about books.

Hi Laura,

Over here at Garnet A. Wilson, we have a policy of requiring proof of
home extermination when items are returned with roaches or other
parasites, since such infestations pose a risk not only to library
employees, but also to other library patrons.  You could conceivably
extend this to the entire family, since they occupy the same home.

I know of one patron here, in particular, who hasn't been able to check
out materials for a little over a year because of this policy.  She
still uses the computer and other services, but is barred from checking
out materials.  Might be the most PC and effective way of dealing with
the problem?

As far as damage to materials, I would suggest just charging for the
materials if it's not a health risk. Items are replaceable, after all.
If it is a health risk, such as bodily fluids, etc...perhaps a
progressive approach to disciplinary action might help to get the
message through.  For example, maybe ban them from checking out
materials for 1 week or 1 month at first, and explain to them the
specific health risks and concerns.  And document it!

This might convince them to take better care of the materials...and
still retain them as library patrons in the long run.  If they fail to
change their behavior, I would say it's perfectly acceptable to ban them
from checking out library materials.  If you can show a paper trail of
progressive offenses and disregard of policy, it helps protect you from
potential legal recourse.