[OPLINLIST] repeatedly bad patrons

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Jul 21 14:19:53 EDT 2010

On 7/21/2010 12:07 PM, Reference Desk wrote:
> On 7/20/2010 12:45 PM, Laura Thorne wrote:
>> months on end.  We have a family with 6 or 7 kids who have returned books
>> with bugs in them, unknown liquids spilled on them, and various other
> Over here at Garnet A. Wilson, we have a policy of requiring proof of
> home extermination when items are returned with roaches or other
> parasites, since such infestations pose a risk not only to library
> employees, but also to other library patrons.  You could conceivably
> extend this to the entire family, since they occupy the same home.
>
> I know of one patron here, in particular, who hasn't been able to check
> out materials for a little over a year because of this policy.  She
> still uses the computer and other services, but is barred from checking
> out materials.  Might be the most PC and effective way of dealing with
> the problem?
I agree with the principle of this policy. However, as you stated it, in
some cases you could be effectively banning a patron for life from
borrowing materials from the library. If a patron has eradicated their
infestation without the assistance of a professional exterminator, there
would be no documentation to present to the library. An easy way out of
this lifetime ban might be to implement a "banned for XX months unless
proof" policy rather than a "banned until proof" policy.

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --