[OPLINLIST] Fwd: Biography Reference Bank -- Summer Newsletter

Laura Solomon laura at oplin.org
Mon Jul 26 08:54:49 EDT 2010

Biography Reference Bank (one of the statewide databases that OPLIN
helps to provide) is now doing a regular newsletter, highlighting
information that may be of interest.  They've asked for feedback, so
please let me know what you think.  Thanks,

Laura

--
*Laura Solomon, MCIW, MLS*
/Library Services Manager/
solomola at oplin.org
www.oplin.org

http://www.hwwilson.com/rs/header-line.gif

*Inspire younger patrons with inventors*

<http://www.hwwilson.com/Documentation/WilsonWeb/enhancements/wweb_maintenance.htm>

*Biography Reference Bank* is full of inspirational, illustrated
profiles and sketches of inventors, many of whom have summer birthdays.

Celebrate John Logie Baird (born August 13, 1888), who invented the
television; Samuel Colt (born July 19, 1814) inventor of the revolver;
or Satoshi Tajiri (born August 28, 1965), who invented Pokemon video
games for the Japanese games company Nintendo.

*/Tip:/* Select "inventor" from the profession drop-down list on the

*Astronomers to look up to*

For those patrons who prefer the night sky to the summer sun, *Biography
Reference Bank* has profiles of some astronomers and astrophysicists who
are shaping the way we see our universe today. You'll find great results
by choosing astronomers or astrophysicists from the profession field.

*/Tip:/* For modern astronomers, limit your search to people born in the
20th century---use the date fields on the Advanced Search screen to
narrow or broaden your search.

*Planning ahead for the 2010-2011 school year *

Remember that *Biography Reference Bank* contains a number of
specialized biographical databases, including *Junior Authors &
Illustrators*. Here you'll find biographies of popular writers for
high-school students, such as Neal Shusterman, winner of Vermont's Green
Mountain Book Award for his book Unwind.

*Have your patrons tried... *

icon
<http://www.hwwilson.com/Documentation/WilsonWeb/enhancements/wweb_maintenance.htm>

...browsing the profiles in our /Born On This Date/ or /Featured
Biography/ sections of the Advanced Search screen?

They might be surprised by what they can learn.

*Now busy patrons can listen to life stories too! *

Thanks to the Wilson ReadSpeaker text-to-speech converter, your patrons
can listen to audio files of profiles in the language of their choice!
Audio files can be listened to in the library or downloaded as MP3 files
for on-the-go listening.

<http://www.hwwilson.com/Documentation/WilsonWeb/enhancements/wweb_maintenance.htm>

*Trusted biographies in the palm of your hand *

<http://www.hwwilson.com/Documentation/WilsonWeb/enhancements/wweb_maintenance.htm>

We'll soon have more news on WilsonWeb Mobile, due to launch shortly.
You can see a demonstration of this great on-the-go resource by checking
our website, www.hwwilson.com <http://www.hwwilson.com>.

http://www.hwwilson.com/RS/footer3.gif