[OPLINLIST] Publisher 2007 Send as an email message.

Ed Rossman erossman74 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 22:29:01 EDT 2010

Hi Chris,

What a coincidence! Next week I’m
conducting a Kent SLIS workshop on Crisp Communications that includes sections
on Publisher, email, Wiki’s, Twitter and various other channels of communication: http://www.slis.kent.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=43

Your situation is a challenge. I can’t
imagine what size this emailed newsletter would be! When I started doing
emailed newsletters at Lakewood Public Library around 2000, I used a simple text
based email that was engaging, kind of a tease, then provided a link to the
newsletter on the web that the patrons could easily get to no matter what email
service or browser they used. A method they still use today.

Although bandwidth and the size of most
email accounts has increased,  with the
plethora of smartphones, Net Readers and other platforms I’d think a one size
fits all solution will be quite a challenge to find! Perhaps you can offer
options on sign-up lists based on if they use Outlook or Gmail, and distribute
the newsletter twice, or convince your PR staff to consider pointing everyone
to a single point on the web like we did at Lakewood.

One school I worked for once used to
distribute newsletters using publisher as an attachment, which I could never
get at home until I made that purchase. Eventually, to improve access, they
converted it into a PDF, which most folks can get and are hyperlink capable.

Good luck. Let me know what happens!
Ed RossmanAuthor, Castles Against Ignorance: How to make libraries great educational environmentshttp://www.castles411.com

 <snip>

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 11:25 AM

From:"Christopher Brose"
<brosech at oplin.org>

Does anyone use MS Publisher 2007 to
create newsletters then try and send them as an email message using Outlook
2007???

Our PR staff create library
newsletters using MS Publisher 2007, then send them as email messages by
selecting File-> Send E-mail -> Send as E-Mail message.  When the
converted file being sent is previewed the newsletter is fine, but when the
email is received by the patron the news letter is broken apart and fragmented
when viewed in Outlook, but looks fine in Gmail and Yahoomail.

The PR staff does not want to send
this as an attachment but as the body of an email.  I have converted the
publisher file to a JPEG but all links within the newsletter will not function
which is not acceptable.  I’ve also “Selected All” within publisher then
pasted the newsletter into Outlook with HTML enabled.  This allows the
newsletter to be viewed correctly within MS Outlook 2007, but the email body is
broken up in Gmail and Yahoomail.

Has anyone have this problem and
discovered a workaround?

Thanks,