[OPLINLIST] Dedicated Download Station Summary

Robert Antill mylibrarian at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 19 13:20:55 EST 2011

Hello Everyone and Thank You for your responses,

Just as the technology itself, the variety and veracity of the responses were many.
As promised here are the responses with identities protected.  I also spoke to Overdrive directly.

The representative from Overdrive fell short of telling me it was "illegal" or a "violation" of the contract to create our own download station although, "they don't suggest it."  I believe they are caught between a rock and a hard place as they try to maintain some semblance of propriety and also try to tame the "monsters" that are taking over the publishing world which are downloadables.  Kindle seems to be the last holdout as almost every other device is compatible with Overdrive.

I do not know what the solution is or will be but, my committee appreciates your very valuable input and I hope that the rest of your winter is mild.

Robert

_Summaries Below - Responses expressing similar views or ideas were not included for space reasons_________________
We do have a dedicated download station at "Joe" Public Library.  It is used strictly for downloading audiobooks from Overdrive and cannot be used for e-books or any of our other digital resources.  We have also restricted the browser so that the dedicated download station cannot be used for general internet surfing.  Patrons may download to mp3 or iPod devices (as long as the iPod is formatted for a PC and the patron elects to use manual mode).
___________________________________
Overdrive licenses their download stations.
They say we are not allowed to use their software otherwise in a public setting.
___________________________________
We would be interested in any responses that you receive.  We had planned to install some of Overdrive's download stations but heard that several libraries had installed and then removed them because of the drain on staff time.
___________________________________
We have considered a download station at some point but don’t have it now.  We are getting swamped with requests for downloads on ebook readers since the prices have dropped.  I would like to see a summary.
___________________________________
We’re actually in the process of changing and updating our Digital Download station at our library.  For years we’ve had the library software provided by Overdrive installed on one computer at each branch of our library (we have 2).  Because of the low usage, we discontinued that service, as we had to pay for it, and instead are currently installing the home software of Overdrive, as well as NetLibrary Media Center.  We also have a subscription to that service.  We intend to also have Adobe Digital Editions available to assist with downloading to e-readers.

The major point we have to contend with is remembering to de-authorize ADE when the patron is done.  And also that in Overdrive, the book the patron downloaded will stay there unless we delete it.  There have also been some filtering issues while with NetLibrary and the way we currently have our computers set up.

However, it’s important to us that if we offer a downloading service to be able to actually demonstrate it or have a patron be able to do it within the library, not just from home.

Here is the list of software we need for the download station:
Overdrive Media Console
NetLibrary Media Center
iTunes
Zune application from Overdrive
Sony Reader Library software
Adobe Digital Editions
Windows Media Player with Security Upgrade
____________________________________
When we investigated this option, specifically for ebooks, we
concluded that the 6 computer and 6 device activations permitted with
an Adobe-ID would prohibit offering a download station for ebooks. If
a patron repeatedly visits a download station, they will eventually
get the E_ACT_TOO_MANY_ACTIVATIONS error which can only be cleared by
opening a web case on the Adobe site.
My understanding is that it can’t be done.  Overdrive works through a person’s device software, i.e. iTunes, which is typically proprietary to their own personal machine.  iTunes doesn’t allow you to upload to a device unless you are attached to your “home” iTunes computer.  Also, it is my understanding that Overdrive license also specifies that library computers cannot be used to download items.  I asked about this at an ebook/Overdrive seminar and I was told the above about Overdrive.  I know from personal experience about iTunes.  Not sure about other devices, but I’d say they aren’t much different.

Also, remember that Kindle is not compliant with Overdrive.  Not sure about Kindle needing a specific “home” computer, but the device can use the libraries wi-fi access to download books directly to the device.
We recently installed a download station for OverDrive here.  At this time it's not being used for any other reason, although the OverDrive people said we can have the internet available if we want.  I'm not in charge of any of those decisions, so I don't know if it will ever be used for anything else.  I used the station the other day to download a YA audio book to my ipod nano.  I found it very easy to do.  It took about 20 minutes.
We used to have a download station for our overdrive product but no one ever used it.   We disabled it in August 2009.  Ironically, just today our Reference manager reported that she’s had several requests in the last two weeks about this.    Hmmm.   We plan to monitor the requests and will possibly put the download station back together.
You will be in violation of your contract with OverDrive if you set up a dedicated station on your own - it is illegal. OD sells Download Station software and we pay a yearly $500 to them to keep it updated and functioning. "Joe" Public Library had set up their own DL station and were forced to take it down.