[OPLINLIST] Faceted call numbers for auto repair books - thank you!

dallen@cuyahogafallslibrary.org dallen at cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Thu Jun 23 16:58:43 EDT 2011

Everyone,

Thank you too all the people who contributed their ideas and experience to
our auto call number repair problem.  All of the responses are in the
archives - no private emails - but I'll summarize and say how we're
planning to do it.

Most of the responses suggested keeping the Dewey number and cuttering by
make, and then by model if there was room on the label.  One response
included a spreadsheet of their library's cuttering vocabulary, which
included terms such as "Car brakes" and "Car chassis" as well as "Dodge
Neon" and "Ford Aerostar".  A few had the very interesting idea of
organizing the collection by year, saying that patrons could fairly easily
pick the right make and model out of all the books which related to a
particular year.  This allowed them to avoid messing with the Dewey
number.

What we chose to do:

Since our auto repair (and the motorcycle repair section we're splitting
out of it) will have their own shelf space, the Dewey 629.xx didn't add
any information that wasn't in the location code.  So we're dropping it
for most books.

We will build the call number using make, model, and year, spelled out.
"Dodge Caravan, Plymouth Voyager & Chrysler Town & Country automotive
repair manual [2002]" will eventually have the call number

DODGE
CARAVAN
2002

with subject access for the Voyager and Town & Country.

Some details are waiting on finding out for sure what new printers will
and won't do.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

David Allen
Cuyahoga Falls Library