[OPLINLIST] MP3 audio books - how are they doing?

dallen@cuyahogafallslibrary.org dallen at cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Thu Jun 23 17:46:23 EDT 2011

Everyone,

According to Google, a few Ohio libraries are lending audio books in
MP3-CD format. How's it going for you?

We have a shelf of free samples of MP3 audio books and need to make a
decision about circing them or getting rid of them.  If we do circ them,
the expectation is that we will build up the collection for the long term.

However, I've not found a concensus about what the long term prospects of
the technology are.  Googling, so far, turns up what could be paraphrased
as a resounding "Meeh", which in its own way is pretty ominous.

So, in real life:

Do they circulate? Do patrons like them?

Are patrons able to play them when they want to?  Specifically, do people
keep coming back saying "This won't play in my car?"

Is there another alternative (downloadable audio?) which would give us
better value for our money?

Thanks in advance!

David Allen
Coordinator, Cataloging and Acquisitions
Cuyahoga Falls Library

believed to be clean.