[OPLINLIST] E-Rate deadline approaching

Stephen Hedges hedgesst at oplin.org
Mon Mar 21 09:51:43 EDT 2011

The window for filing E-Rate Form 471 will close at 11:59 p.m. EDT this
Thursday, March 24, 2011.

If you plan on E-Rating T1 lines purchased from the AT&T SOMACS
contract, however, you cannot yet complete your Form 471. That is
because AT&T and the State of Ohio still have not agreed on the terms of
an extension to the current SOMACS contract, which expires on June 30.

When I spoke to AT&T last week, they were optimistic that the contract
extension would be completed and signed last Friday. Since that did not
happen, I assume that we can expect an announcement at any time now. All
the contract negotiators are well aware of the E-Rate deadline we face.

Meanwhile, I have been told that there will be a month-to-month option
in addition to the two-year contract option for the T1s, just as there
was two years ago. I do not know what the prices for each option will be.

Libraries will choose their option by signing an E-Rate rider to the
SOMACS contract. If you choose the two-year option, the date you sign
the rider will be your Contract Award Date (Block 5, Item 18). If you
choose month-to-month, for E-Rate purposes there is no contract and the
E-Rate rider is simply the way you will inform AT&T of your option choice.

The minute I have news that the SOMACS contract extension has been
signed, I will let you know and pass along pricing information.

--
Stephen Hedges, Director
2323 W. Fifth Ave., Suite 130