[OPLINLIST] Calling all Teen/Young Adult Librarians

Sarah Amazing AmazingS at WTCPL.ORG
Wed Nov 30 10:16:39 EST 2011

>From what I can tell, there's been a TAB at our library for a long while. It's open to all teens, but generally the teens that come are the ones who come to everything; my "core group." I run every program idea by them, which they usually like but occasionally make it clear when a particular idea is lame. They help choose summer reading prizes, keep me updated on homework assignments so the non-fiction collection can reflect what's needed, & help me stay updated on teens in general (sometimes I just sit back & listen to them talk about things like popular books, music, movies, social networks, ebooks, manga/anime, etc. TAB is basically my secret weapon). I also bring selections of the new fiction & read the book blurbs aloud - usually they all check out by the end. I've also taken books with low circs that I think they'd like but might have missed.

This is the first year since I took over in 2007 that I'm letting them run a program, which should be interesting. We also do a "field trip" each year to a bookstore where they get to choose a book to add to  the collection with a book plate - nice way to advertise when the book goes out.

As for how to find interest, when I took over, there was an extensive mailing list of over 50 teens that were sent letters each month, but as only 8-10 teens were coming, I thought that rather costly, so now I just post signs, hand out flyers, & encourage them to bring their book & library loving friends. We also do a "membership drive" every August (we only meet during the school year) with displays in more prominent places. Generally, I advertise it as their chance to have a voice in what goes on at their library. We usually have between 15-20 teens at each meeting, & we do serve pizza to them. I make them turn off their phones & laptops & focus on the meeting - they also have to stay for the full hour; no eating pizza then leaving. We start every meeting by going 'round with introductions (name, age, school) & the last thing they read & if it was any good, including me. Then we just dive right in to the agenda, after a reading of "It's a Book!" which has become a bit of an in-thing with the TAB members.

I think that's about it! If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

Sarah Amazing
Teen Librarian
Warren-Trumbull County Public Library
(330) 399-8807 ext 305