[OPLINLIST] Why there are no License Plates

Susan Pieper, M.S.L.S. susanhillpieper at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 15:13:29 EDT 2011

Thank you to Lynda Murray of OLC for the following response. It certainly
satisfies me.

Periodically this issue comes up.  We have looked at this several times.
Here are some of the issues.
        1. The maximum amount of money that these special plates have raised
in Ohio for any one organization is slightly more than $100,000.
        2. The revenue from these plates has to go to one not-for-profit
organization.  Public libraries in Ohio do not have one organization, unless
you wanted to designate this money to go to the State Library of Ohio.  But
this money cannot be deposited into, for example, the PLF and then divided
among the libraries.
        3. I have concerns that the General Assembly might believe that
license plate fees would, coupled with overdue book fines, be sufficient to
fund public libraries.
        4. All of the above reasons are also why schools, etc. do not want
to rely on license plate fees.
Susan Hill Pieper, M.S.L.S.
Director/Editor
Paulding County Carnegie Library