[OPLINLIST] Literacy Book Bundles...

Barb Scott barbarascott1956 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 26 14:34:10 EDT 2011

 Hello!

We are pulling together information in order to write a grant for some upcoming United Way funding in our community.  I have the idea of putting together "Literacy Book Bundles" that will be 5-6 books available for check out in a bag.  They will be on the topics of Oral Language Development, Rhyme and Repetition, Phonemics/Phonological Awareness, Alphabet, Concepts of Print, Vocabulary Development, Wordless Stories, and Basic Concepts.  I am hoping through the grant to purchase 2 copies of each book and be able to circulate 16 bags.

If you do something similar, what else do you include in the bags?  A sheet for parents explaining the literacy concept that the bag works with?  Do you include realia as well?  That thought occurred to me today...perhaps a puppet or some other piece of realia should be in each bag.

Another question that I thought is if you do this type of bundle, do you circulate the bag as one item, or are the books in the bundle individually checked out?

Would appreciate anybody's wisdom/insight/ideas on this.

TIA!

Barbara Scott, Children's Librarian
Bucyrus Public Library
200 East Mansfield Street
Bucyrus, OH  44820
419-562-7327 x 104
www.childrensprogramming.blogspot.com
Author of 1,000 Fingerplays and Action Rhymes:  A Sourcebook and DVD
www.neal-schuman.com/far
Coming in 2012:  Ready-To-Go Holiday Storytimes
www.neal-schuman.com/rtghs