[OPLINLIST] Literacy Book Bundles...

Laura Lee Wilson lwilson at holmeslib.org
Sat Oct 29 13:32:24 EDT 2011

Barb,

I have made similar bags at both Loudonville and Holmes County.  I use the
Demco mesh bags and place realia in the bags that relates to at least one of
the books.  I have some with parent tips and others without - I have NEVER
received feedback either way.  Except for preschool teachers, I honestly, I
think the bags are checked out to play with and not necessarily for the
educational component (with a parent).  BUT, I still think they are useful
tools for the child in gaining literacy skills and enjoying books.

At HCDPL and LPL, I had the TS Dept make one record for the whole bag and
placed the same barcode number on each item (which also helps reunite those
items that will inevitably get separated).

As for realia, it is best to include items that are self-contained with no
more than 3 pieces.  Circulation does not like counting the items (ie: 26
magnetic letters, puzzles, flashcards, etc.), and they rarely stay together
for more than a few circs.  Also, include a content card with each bag,
parents and circ staff will thank you.

As an aside, I wanted the magnetic letters, but compromised by making
alphabet cards using Microsoft Word, laminated them, punched holes in the
corner and threaded a cord through the cards.

I wish you well in the grant process; the kiddos will love "Literacy Book
Bundles"  ~LLW

Laura Lee Wilson
lwilson at holmeslib.org
Coordinator of Branch and Children's Services
Holmes County District Public Library
3102 Glen Drive
Millersburg, OH 44654
PH: 330-674-5972 ext 210
FX: 330-674-1938

This message and any response to it may constitute a public record and thus
may be publicly available to anyone who requests it.