[OPLINLIST] State Library of Ohio September issue of The News --- Please excuse multiple postings... http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/September/

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney marshams at library.ohio.gov
Fri Sep 23 09:52:15 EDT 2011

September 2011

	Library Science Education

State Librarian's Report

Feature Articles

Student perspectives of School of Library and  Information Science

I can't help but marvel that I am starting my last fall semester in my
quest for a master's degree in library and information science.  I am so
close to reaching my long-time goal now that I can almost feel that
diploma in my hand (or at least the "temporary" one they give you at
graduation).  What I am not surprised about is that I still get excited
with each new semester.  I buy my books, study my syllabus, and
anticipate what each semester will bring.  What will I learn about the
profession?   What will I learn about me?  How will I incorporate
everything into being the best librarian I can?

More...
<http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/September/Ke
ntStateStudentPerspectives>

Swedish Librarians Learn about Ohio Libraries

If you asked a delegation of Swedish librarians what they did on their
summer vacation, they would say, "We traveled to Ohio to visit
libraries. One stop during our visit was to the Medina Library where we
learned about their services to 151,000 people of all ages." More...
<http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/September/Sw
eedishLibrarians>

WebJunction Competency Index for the Library Field
Across industries, competencies provide a foundation on which to build
coherent efforts to increase the knowledge, skills and abilities of
employees and ultimately to strengthen the organization as a whole.
Libraries need such a foundation, especially in times of rapid change
and evolution, in order to choose the most efficient and productive
paths for staff training, recruiting and other  personnel directions. In
an effort to fulfill that need, in 2009 WebJunction created the
Competency Index for the Library Field as a compilation of competency
statements that address a broad spectrum of library practice and
service.  More...
<http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/September/We
bJunctionCompetencyIndex>

		This issue of our newsletter focuses on library science
education and its importance to the profession of library and
information science.  It seems like a natural topic for us to address
since Ohio is home to one of the country's best library science
education programs - the Kent State University School of Library and
Information Science (KSU-SLIS). U.S. News & World Report ranks the
school as one of the nation's Top 20 programs in the field and the
school's youth librarianship program is ranked 13th.  More...
<http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/September/>

Beverly Cain

State Librarian

Exploring our Past in Library Education
September is the time of year when many transition to the start of, or
return to, school. At the State Library, our foot traffic increases as
students return to classes at the Kent State University School of
Library and Information Science Columbus program
<http://www.kent.edu/slis/about/locations/locations-and-facilities-colum
bus.cfm> . Just as many library students before them, they are learning
library history, current research, trends and practices in the field and
envisioning their role in the future of libraries, librarianship, and
library and information science education.

More...
<http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/September/Ex
ploringOurPast>

Getting the Most From Online Learning
In the current climate of reduced (or non-existent) travel and training
budgets, online learning has become a life saver for librarians
interested in enhancing their professional knowledge and skills. In the
past 15 months, for example, the Ohio Library Council has offered
webinars on diverse topics like teamwork, online reader's advisory,
eBooks, accessibility issues, legal reference services and early
literacy. The American Library Association, along with its major
sub-organizations-ALSC, ACRL, AASL, etc.-has offered everything from
one-hour training sessions to full-day conferences in the online
environment.  More...
<http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/September/On
lineLearning>

Ohio Public Librarian Certification
Ohio Public Librarian Certification recognizes individual librarians who
 meet minimum standards for education, experience, and professional
development. The Ohio Library Council (OLC) established Ohio Public
Librarian Certification to enhance, expand, and improve public library
services; publicly recognize and encourage librarians who, on a
continuing basis, engage in professional development activities in the
interest of providing better library services; and encourage and support
the career development of librarians who want to prepare themselves as
future library leaders.

More...
<http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/September/OH
PubLibCertification>

Read The News online at:
www.library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/September
<http://www.library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/Septembe
r>

274 E. First Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43201              ~
www.library.ohio.gov      ~      614-644-7061