[OPLINLIST] Lock-Ins

Diane Bengson bengson at wrightlibrary.org
Fri Feb 17 14:58:27 EST 2012

I held my first ever Lock-In at the end of January, and it went very well.
So fresh from the experience, here's what I did as far as legalities, etc.

I was a little bit nervous about it, so I put lots of constraints in place.
Ours was only for our TAB members, and they needed to have attended one or
more meetings to come to the Lock-in.  (It pretty much assured me a good
group of kids, and I had at least met them all beforehand.) First, I had to
get approval from our library director. The teens had to return permission
slips, with liability release and medical information, two days before the
lock-in. I sent home a detailed information sheet for parents, as well as
the schedule for the night (which the TAB designed with my minor input). I
also called the local police so they would know why there were lights and
people in the library in the middle of the night. I had a second adult (a
wonderful co-worker)with me the whole night. While the teens were restricted
most of the night to the lower level, I had a whistle around my neck at all
times in case of an emergency that would require all of us to meet in the
meeting room for further instructions. I was concerned about an ice storm we
were supposed to have that night, and that we might lose power, but we were
fine. I never blew the whistle, except in the introductory time when we
talked about the rules.

I've attached the permission slip, information sheet, and schedule.

It was really a lot of fun for the kids, but also for me!

Diane Bengson

Teen Services Librarian

Wright Memorial Public Library

Dayton, OH