[OPLINLIST] Summer Reading with the Spoon Man?

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Tue Feb 28 10:15:23 EST 2012

In Spoon Man's defense, remember there are many expenses you don't see.

3 libraries in a day at $330 each for $990 total sounds great, but I guarantee
he is not pocketing that.

All in all, probably the only way he can keep the price this low is to book a
weeks worth in one area.

When I traveled as a Mettler Toledo employee, an overnight trip easily cost the
customer $2000 +.
As a contractor, I didn't even consider an overnight trip, just to Toledo, for
less than $860.
Tacking on airfare and car rental for an out of state trip makes it more like $1200+
That's without all Spoon Man's expenses (and I worked cheap).

Spoon Man must also pay:
Gas, Food, SS, Medicare, IRS, State taxes.   Local tax too, if he's completely
honest
The SS and Medicare may also be a  double hit, depending on how he files taxes.
Medical insurance and a pension plan of some sort. No PERS for him.

A decent hotel is not always cheap, depending on location.
$99 plus tax for a Holiday Inn Express near us

Transportation costs (air fare and car rental) will be a lot as he may fly to
many locations
Or, as an article says he drives 70,000 miles a year, his cars can't last too long.

His nice website probably costs a few bucks to maintain.
The 888 telephone number is not free.

His income also must compensate for:
Probably not working 5 days a week or 50 weeks a year.
Unpaid sickness or vacation.
Unpaid travel time. No beam me up, Scotty.

Etc.

My thoughts anyway,    Bob

R. W. (Bob) Neeper
Community Library