[OPLINLIST] Childhood eating disorder...

Karen Jensen kjensenmls at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 29 11:59:27 EST 2012

Barb,

My child has a type of illness known as an EOS disorder.  Many children with this type of disorder are fed through feeding tubes (mine is not).  You can search for information about it at the APFED foundation (www.apfed.org) as they will probably have support materials about feeding tubes and those living with them.  In addition, there are a variety of other conditions that cause children to need feeding tubes and there are a variety of support groups on line for them.  There are a couple of children's book that discusses the issues, also - for example, http://www.mitoaction.org/gtube_book?gclid=CNrDjpvTw64CFQFeTAodqiFwUQ

Many children who have feeding tubes have to have speech and swallowing therapy to learn how to eat regular food correctly.  Honestly, this child needs to be under the care of a professional therapist and nutritionist to help deal with the very real issues that come from needing a feeding tube.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no real good books out there that deal with the issue you are inquiring about.  Can you be more specific about the age of the son in question?  How young is young?  I can put out a request for information on a support forum I know of, but more information about age would be helpful.

Sincerely,
Karen

Karen Jensen, MLS
Teen Librarian's Toolbox