[OPLINLIST] Require library card for public wireless?

Joe knuevejo at oplin.org
Fri Jul 27 14:14:27 EDT 2012

To be honest, this is why I am quick to remind parents that the library,
unlike the school, does not act "in loco parentis" and that we cannot
claim responsibility for things that children do in the library that are
not illegal or against general library policy. (I will admit I state it
in a slightly less confrontational, more affirmative manner..)

That said, if a parent comes to me and says that they don't want the
child to use the internet on our computers, I will place a block on
their account, but if they said they wanted me to block that child on
any device I would say that is physically impossible (which the way we
are setup, it pretty much is).  I might also remind the parent that even
if I could keep their kid off the internet here, that they could simply
walk up to McDonald's and access the internet there.

Have a good weekend.

Joe

Joseph Knueven
Director