[OPLINLIST] teen scavenger hunt question

Linda Smik lsmik at starklibrary.org
Sat Jul 28 11:07:05 EDT 2012

I too had a scavenger hunt for the teens and wanted them to learn that they could, "get the book from anywhere." I simply had them find information about a book that was not available in the Stark County District Library catalog, but could be found in the consortium (SearchOhio) catalog. Earlier in the scavenger hunt I had them pick up a bookmark from Reference Services which gave detailed instructions on how to find books using the SearchOhio catalog.

Of course, you would have to alter this to suit the resources available at Wilson Public Library.

You could consider having them find information about a book using World Cat, and then completing an inter-library loan request for a title your library does not own.

BTW: I used the title Battle Royale by Koushum Takami. SCDL didn't own a copy at the time and I found it appropriate for teens.  The story is so similar to Hunger Games that many people say that the basic premise of Hunger Games was stolen by Suzanne Collins.

~ Linda (Miday) Smik
Linda (Miday) Smik, Teen Services Librarian
Stark County District Library
715 Market Ave. North
Canton, Ohio 44702
(330) 458-2650
lsmik at starklibrary.org<mailto:LMiday at starklibrary.org>
If one reads enough books one has a fighting chance. Or better, one's chances of survival increase with each book one reads. ~ Sherman Alexi