[OPLINLIST] Video Relay Service for the Deaf

Susan Pieper susanhillpieper at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 13:44:30 EDT 2013

Hello all:
Are there any libraries which provide public access video relay services
(VRS) to the deaf? This is a service that provides a video phone and sign
language interpreter to help hearing impared communicate via phone with
hearing people. For example, a farmer who is deaf, but uses sign language,
would be able to use the phone to contact and communicate with the U.S.
Department of Agriculture regarding needs.
We are thinking of implementing this service at our main library as the
nearest public access video phone, to my knowledge, is over 30 miles away.
Thanks for your input.
Susan
Susan Hill Pieper, M.S.L.S.
Director