[OPLINLIST] Excellent speaker for children and adults

Jill McCullough fernpenelope at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 15 16:41:52 EDT 2013

We just had a presentation by Marc Harshman - poet, children's author and storyteller - here at the Clyde Public Library. He is wonderful: enthusiastic, inspiring and engaging, for both children and the adults that accompany them. His information:

Marc Harshman - marcharshman at hotmail.com - 304-243-9711

and his possible presentations:

"In my standard powerpoint presentation I
pitch with enthusiasm the pleasures of reading and writing; present with slides
several of my picture books, telling their literal stories, as well as the
'stories' of their creation; perform as storytelling a story separate from my
own texts (often an Appalachian folk tale); and make hands-on suggestions for
student storytelling and writing.[What he did at Clyde. JM] Institutions often provide time for autographing of the students' books
at some point.   I can also provide a writer's workshop or two
for a smaller, selected group of students or adults. Here I provide specific,
hands-on suggestions and lead participants through several writing activities."

 And Mr. Harshman's bio.

       Marc Harshman was appointed the poet
laureate of West Virginia in 2012.  His
full-length collection, GREEN-SILVER AND SILENT, was published by Bottom Dog
Press later that same year.  Four
chapbooks of poems include ALL THAT FEEDS US: THE WEST VIRGINIA POEMS, Quarrier
Press, Charleston, WV.  Periodical
publications include Shenandoah, The Georgia Review, The Progressive,
Appalachian Heritage, and Tuesday: An Art Project.  Poems have been anthologized by Kent State
University, the University of Iowa, University of Georgia, and the University
of Arizona. Short prose works have recently been nominated for a Pushcart Prize.
His eleven children’s books include THE STORM, a Smithsonian Notable Book. His
children's titles have also been published in Spanish, Japanese, Korean,
Danish, and Swedish.  Two new children’s
titles are forthcoming. Marc holds degrees from Bethany College, Yale Divinity
School, and the University of Pittsburgh.  He recently received an honorary doctorate from Bethany College in
recognition of his life’s work.

Jill McCullough, Adult Services Librarian
Clyde Public Library
222 W. Buckeye St.
Clyde, OH 43410

419-547-7174