[OPLINLIST] refund policy

Anne Lowery loweryan at oplin.org
Fri Aug 16 09:13:31 EDT 2013

Hoping for some feedback on what your policies are for issuing refunds
when a patron pays for a lost item
and then later finds it. Specifically, will you refund and if so, what
is your time limit.

We have had several patrons lately who ask about buying a book - which
of course we do not do. So they come in after overdue notices
are received and announce that they lost the item. They pay for it. Then
when they are done with the book (or they need money) they miraculously
"find" the book and return it and want their money back.  I don't have a
problem if it's a week or two later, but some of these people
are getting ridiculous. Since we are headed for a fine-free environment,
I am concerned that this problem is going to escalate.

I want to update policy and set a time limit on when we will consider
refunding payment for a lost item and am curious as to how others
are handling this issue.

Thanks!

--
Anne Lowery, MLIS