[OPLINLIST] Obituary Indexes

Elizabeth Glasgow GlasgowE at WTCPL.ORG
Thu Jan 24 15:17:22 EST 2013

Ours were indexed some time ago in print only, and we are in the process of indexing current obits and re-indexing old obits for our website:
http://www.wtcpl.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=35:obituary-index&catid=9#.UQGV9fLkojk
The indexing is to the citations, we do not scan the obituaries themselves.  At this time we are not interested in indexing for larger organizations or commercial sites.

Elizabeth A. Glasgow
Local History & Genealogy Center
Warren-Trumbull County Public Library
444 Mahoning Ave. NW
Warren, Ohio 44483
(330) 399-8807, Ext.120

We may sit in our library and yet be in all the corners of the earth.
John Lubbock

From: oplinlist-bounces at lists.oplin.org [mailto:oplinlist-bounces at lists.oplin.org] On Behalf Of Morgan
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:13 PM
To: OPLINLIST
Subject: [OPLINLIST] Obituary Indexes

How does your library handle obituary indexes?

Do you create your own database of obituaries?

What fields of information are stored in your database?

I would like to know what other libraries are doing.

Do you outsource your data?

Do you use one of the commercial databases available?

Thanks,

Morgan

Morgan Paul
Technology Coordinator