[OPLINLIST] Do you know that you are very strong?

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed Jul 10 14:44:44 EDT 2013

I’m a big fan of Grover . He’s lovable. He’s furry. But our toddler’s already able to tell me about the monster at the end of his book. And choosing other books because I remember them fondly isn’t the best strategy to entertain him or build his literacy skills. Offering lists of developmental-level-appropriate books is a great way to reach out to parents of young children.

Librarians need to find new kid’s books, too , and not just so they can recommend titles to me. You look for books that fit in popular categories as well as those that match individual readers. And the Summer Reading crush offers few opportunities to flip through new books. Time for collection development can easily disappear, even though recommending new books that promote early childhood literacy is one of the great strengths of public and school libraries.

That’s why SWON’s Picture Book Read-In is in its 18th year . It gives librarians several uninterrupted hours to page through the 1,000+ books sent by public libraries in our region. We’ll have well-organized printed lists of the books you can annotate and take with you, too. Yes, we’re including a Common Core talk and a new non-fiction section, and those are valuable additions. But we aren’t forgetting the read-in that’s at the heart of this event.

Save the date, August 9th, by registering today: http://tiny.cc/2013pbri

Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator

ALA Virtual Conference, July 24th and 25th

We still have seats available for the ALA Virtual Conference, streaming to SWON's office. Whether you can come the 24th and 25th or just for half a day, you'll hear ideas explained and given context in ways almost impossible to fit into a magazine article or blog post. It's tough to get away. But hearing ideas from a different perspective can give you a new angle on your own work. Find a new way to frame it. Join us for the ALA Virtual Conference.

Learn more and register here: http://tiny.cc/alavirtual2013
Connect to SWON online: Website : Calendar : Facebook : Twitter

Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks.

    * Level-Up Lab: LinkedIn - (7/11/2013) - SWON Conference Room
    * Emerging Technologies in Libraries, Part 1 - (7/11/2013) - Online
    * Ethnic Librarians and Staff (SIG) Meeting - (7/12/2013) - Steely Library at NKU
    * RDA for Copy Catalogers - (7/15/2013) - Galen College of Nursing
    * Everyday Library Ethics, Part 1 - (7/16/2013) - Online
    * Lean Your Library - (7/18/2013) - Online
    * Stress at Work: Lessen It, Then Leave It! - (7/23/2013) - Online
    * ALA Virtual Conference - (7/24-7/25/2013) - SWON Conference Room

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463