[OPLINLIST] SMART Board Compilation

Mary Anne Wood woodma at oplin.org
Tue Oct 29 15:15:36 EDT 2013

Here are the 3 replies that I received about SMART Boards.

I would suggest getting an overhead mounted projector ... we do not have one
yet and our smart board is under used (the projector is a pain to get out /
set up and then you have the risk of a child bumping it and shifting the
image).

Our library just purchased one that was installed last week. The lady to
talk with is Heather Youngman. You can email her directly:
<mailto:heather.youngman at norwalk.lib.oh.us>
heather.youngman at norwalk.lib.oh.us

I have worked in education for over 15 years - high school thru collegiate.
I would recommend you NOT buy a smart board.  I would invest in a projector
(which you would need for a smart board anyway) and a tablet.  You can get
apps that allow you to project from your tablet through the projector onto
the screen.  The tablet allows you the ability to stand anywhere in the room
and still control the screen, or you can hand off the tablet to the next
person. Also, a board is tethered to one location - the tablet is mobile. It
is better to invest in tomorrow's vision, than yesterday's product.

Mary Anne Wood

Youth Services Coordinator

London Public Library

20 E. First St.