[OPLINLIST] please share?

James Hill jhill at myacpl.org
Fri Aug 22 08:17:43 EDT 2014

 Social Media Policy

Athens County Public Libraries (ACPL) believes that by participating in
social media, the library is more relevant and accessible to its users.
Through social media and web applications, ACPL can better promote services
and resources throughout the communities.

 Social media is defined as any website or application (including the ACPL
website) which allows users to share information and interact with the
libraries. Social media can include blogging, microblogging, instant
messaging, tagging, etc. Through its interactions, ACPL will strive to
facilitate an environment for library staff and users to share opinions and
information about library-related subjects, events and issues. As with
other traditional resources, ACPL does not act in place of or in the
absence of a parent and is not responsible for enforcing restrictions which
a parent or guardian may place on a minor’s use of this resource.

 ACPL does not collect, maintain or otherwise use the personal information
stored on any third-party site in any way other than to communicate with
users of the site, unless granted permission by users for library contact
off site. Users should be aware that third-party websites have their own
privacy policies and should proceed accordingly.

 Comments, posts, messages and other interactions are welcome on ACPL
profiles and sites. ACPL recognizes and respects differences in opinions;
however, interactions will be regularly monitored and reviewed for content
and relevancy (before publishing when possible). All postings containing
any of the following will be removed:

   -

   Obscene or racist content
   -

   Personal attacks, insults, or threatening language
   -

   Potentially libelous statements
   -

   Plagiarized or copy-written material
   -

   Private, personal information published without consent
   -

   Comments unrelated to the content of the forum
   -

   Hyperlinks to material that is not directly related to the discussion
   -

   Commercial promotions or spam
   -

   Photos or other images that fall in any of the above categories

 ACPL reserves the right to edit or modify any postings or comments for
space or content, while retaining the intent of the original post. ACPL
shall also be granted the right to reproduce comments, posts, and messages
in other public venues and publicity. Identifying information, other than
first name, will be removed unless granted permission by the user.

 ACPL assumes no liability regarding any event or interaction that takes
place by any participant in any library-sponsored social networking service
and does not endorse or review outside content. The role and utility of
social networking sites will be evaluated periodically by ACPL and may be
terminated at any time without notice to users.

 Approved March 15, 2011

James Hill
Asst. Director
Athens County Public Libraries