[OPLINLIST] policy and procedures question

Linda Swartzel swartzli at oplin.org
Wed Feb 19 17:17:18 EST 2014

We have a 'Transitional Living Classroom' here in our community.This is
a group of handicapped students who have met the requirements for high
school graduation, but who may, in the words of the County Board of
Education "benefit from additional support to learn independent living
skills."These students are 18 years of age and up.Technically they are
adults, but their parents still have legal custody.The students come
from all around the county.

The Coordinator of the program wants all of the students to have library
cards with borrowing privileges for all of the materials the library
holds -- books, books on CD, video games, Kindle checkout, DVDs.They may
come to the library as a group, but they may also come individually with
a 'job coach'.Although they live all around the county, some of them are
local and may come to the library at other times as well.

As a class activity the group worked to fill out the information on the
application and had their parent or guardian sign it.They visited the
library today as a group and the Coordinator turned the cards into the
desk.We asked but we were told that the students did not have any type
of photo ID.

For our adult patrons we require a photo ID and proof of a current
address when people come in to get a library card.For our youth under
the age of 18, parents must come into the library and present valid ID
and verification of address when the child's application is turned in.As
you can see from above, neither the adult application process nor the
juvenile application process was followed in full.

We want to set the students up for success in using the library.That
being said, we also feel that if we make a special set of rules for
them, we are not really helping them out.Because of the varying times
the students may visit, they may incur fines but may not understand the
concept of overdues.As with many young people, the DVDs, Kindles and
video games seemed to hold the most allure and get the most attention
today, but they are also the materials that are most expensive to
replace if they do not come back.

I know different libraries around the state have varying policies as to
how to go about getting a library card, and there are many philosophies
on overdues and materials that are not returned.I am also sure that we
are not the only library that has special needs students coming to
visit.Please share either on or off list the things that have worked and
not worked for your library.

Thanks for any info and insight you might have!

Linda Swartzel

--
Linda Swartzel
Mary L. Cook Public Library