[OPLINLIST] Maker? Space? Library?

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed Mar 19 15:49:30 EDT 2014

    What Does “Library Maker Space” Mean?

Melanie’s back from PLA, where she saw the “Makerbox: No Space Required”
session. This ILEAD 2013
<https://www.webjunction.org/partners/illinois/il-programs/ileadusa/ilead-usa-illinois/team8/documents.html>
project created five portable makerspaces–small enough to fit in a
box–based on different themes: music, circuits, 3D, STEM, and DIY
crafts. Each was put together with a budget of $800.

The Music Makerbox, for example, includes a recording device, ukelele,
synthesizer keyboard, egg shaker and a synthesizer pad called the Korg
Kaossilator 2. Watch this 2-minute YouTube video about the Korg
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htV1D9BEp8M> for a glimpse at what it
can do. (If your library has an iPad, Korg’s iKaossilator app is just $20).

This Makerbox looks great, but you aren’t making a physical object, like
you would with a 3D printer. You might save a recording as an MP3,
instead. And since the whole box is easily transportable, it doesn’t
need a dedicated space. This isn’t what I immediately think of when I
hear “makerspace,” but it’s absolutely in step with what makerspaces are
about.

Makerspaces are in step with what libraries are about, too. And like
makerspaces, people have expectations about what libraries offer. To
expand those expectations, we’ll need to keep teaching people what
libraries are and what they do. And we’ll have to keep asking them what
they want to do, too. Working with your unique community is how
libraries as a whole can "make" their way forward.

  * Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator

Connect to SWON online: Website <http://www.swonlibraries.org/> :
Calendar <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/eventcalendar.aspx> : Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/SWONLibraries?sk=wall> : Twitter
<http://twitter.com/swonlibraries>
Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks. (Please register for online
classes at least two days before they take place.)

  * *The Horizon Report, Technology, and Learning: What’s in It for
    Libraries
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=884>* -
    (3/20/2014) - Online
  * *Personnel & Library Director’s (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=825>* -
    (3/21/2014) - SWON Meeting Room
  * *Teen Services (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=752>* -
    (3/24/2014) - Kenton County PL, Covington Branch
  * *Adult Planning and Services (APS-SIG) Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=704>* -
    (3/24/2014) - Germantown PL
  * *SWON’s Spring /Staff Training Symposium/
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=784>* -
    (3/25/2014) - National Composite Center, Kettering
  * *Understanding Generational Poverty: How the culture of poverty
    impacts your library
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=887>* -
    (3/25/2014) - Online
  * *Best Storytime Books of 2013: Tips, Tricks and Trends
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=898>* -
    (3/25/2014) - Online
  * *Augmented Reality: Seeing Your Library Through Virtual Eyes
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=879>* -
    (3/27/2014) - Online
  * *The Best New Children’s and Young Adult Books
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=899>* -
    (4/1/2014) - Online

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org<http://www.swonlibraries.org>
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463
To subscribe or be removed from SWON's Events list, click
here:http://lists.swonlibraries.org/mailman/listinfo/events