[OPLINLIST] Staunching the Heartbleed Bug (What a Nosebleed)

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed May 7 14:52:50 EDT 2014

Hopefully you’ve heard about the Heartbleed bug. It’s a problem that
affected about 2/3rds of the internet’s secure servers and made them
not-secure. This is Very Bad, since it could have allowed attackers to
steal your password or other account-related information. This comic
explains the problem in very simple terms: http://xkcd.com/1354/

If you have an account with Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Slate, Flickr,
Dropbox, Netflix, Wordpress or Tumblr, /you definitely need to change
your passwords/. On the other hand, here are some sites that reportedly
/weren’t affected/: Amazon.com, Chase (and many other banks), Twitter,
Apple, Ebay, Paypal, Microsoft/Outlook. Check if a specific site was
affected by using the LastPass Heartbleed checker:
https://lastpass.com/heartbleed/.

That list of unaffected websites isn’t much of a confidence-builder,
especially since different sites report different lists. If you have an
online account that stores information you want to keep safe, this is a
good time to change your password. If you have used the same password
for several websites, including any of the affected websites, you should
change all of those passwords. If you find accounts you no longer use,
now’s a good time to shut them down. It’s time to clean house.

Yes, changing all these passwords will take a lot of time. Yes, it’s
really important that you change them, to protect your data. (Think of
all the emails you’ve ever sent. That’s important data.) You can make
the process a little less painful by setting up a password keeper like
LastPass <https://lastpass.com/> or 1Password
<https://agilebits.com/onepassword> to securely store your passwords and
generate new, strong passwords for you. These aren’t free, but for me,
the security is worth the price.

Using them, I’ll still have to visit the 170+ websites where 1Password
reports I have vulnerable accounts (Ouch). But the software remembers my
current password and can generate new, strong passwords (and remember
them) automatically. For more on creating your own strong passwords,
revisit my write-up from November: http://tiny.cc/password-recipes.

  * Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator

    Data Isn’t Trivial

Your data isn’t trivial. Neither is the data you collect, either
directly or through your current computer services, about your patrons.
Take care of it and learn from it. Learn more ways you can at SWON’s
spring luncheon, “/Data Driven Innovation/.”** We’ll serve lunch at noon
and the interactive innovation talk is from 12:45 to 3:15. Then stay for
SWON’s brief Membership Meeting, where you’ll hear about SWON’s plans
for the upcoming year. Register now: http://bit.ly/data-driven-mtg

Connect to SWON online: Website <http://www.swonlibraries.org/> :
Calendar <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/eventcalendar.aspx> : Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/SWONLibraries?sk=wall> : Twitter
<http://twitter.com/swonlibraries>
Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks. (Please register for online
classes at least two days before they take place.)

  * *Level-Up Lab: Introducing Cloud Services (Rescheduled)
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=2946>* -
    (5/8/2014) - SWON Meeting Room
  * *Your Organizational Skills Journey One Step at a Time
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=918>* -
    (5/8/2014) - Online
  * *ROYAL Book Review (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=732>* -
    (5/9/2014) - Kenton County PL, Covington Branch
  * *Young Children, New Media & Libraries, An ELF 2.0 Webinar
    <http://bit.ly/1gQYQwy>* - (5/8/2014) - Online
  * *Take Five! An Ohio Youth Services Dialogue
    <https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/T5T3>* - (5/9/2014) - Akron-Summit
    County Public Library
  * *Getting Started with Reader’s Advisory
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=915>* -
    (5/13/2014) - Online
  * *Innovative & Engaging Teen Programming <http://bit.ly/1jMsO74>* -
    (5/13/2014) - Online
  * *ROYAL Book Review (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=713>* -
    (5/13/2014) - SWON Meeting Room
  * *ROYAL Book Review (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=732>* -
    (5/13/2014) - Kenton County PL, Covington Branch
  * *Best Content Strategies for Your Library’s Social Media Sites
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=922>* -
    (5/15/2014) - Online
  * */Data Driven Innovation & Membership Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=1926>/* -
    (5/20/2014) - MidPointe Library, West Chester Branch
  * *Be a Great Boss
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=914>* -
    (5/20/2014) - Online

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org<http://www.swonlibraries.org>
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463
To subscribe or be removed from SWON's Events list, click
here:http://lists.swonlibraries.org/mailman/listinfo/events