[OPLINLIST] The reboot of OHIONET’s Fundamentals of Cataloging continues--NEW courses!

Shelly Miller shellym at ohionet.org
Tue Oct 21 10:32:48 EDT 2014

*Please excuse cross-postings.*

OHIONET is pleased to announce that a NEW Fundamentals of Cataloging course
is ready to go, and we will be holding our first instance of “Fundamentals
of Cataloging: Subject Analysis for Copy Catalogers” on Monday, December
8th.  This workshop will on the skills and knowledge necessary to
understand and assess existing subject headings in MARC format.  We're
excited to continue to move forward with the re-writing and re-booting of
this series--including advice and tips for dealing with RDA-related changes
to our records.

Attendees to this class will have the chance to…

   -

   gain an overview of the variety of subject heading systems
   -

   understand the rules for how LoC subject headings are assigned to a
   record
   -

   recognize the variety of RDA-related changes in subject authority records
   -

   explore MARC21 for subject headings in bib records and LCSH authority
   records
   -

   assess the quality of existing records
   -

   discuss cataloger's judgement and bias

WHAT: Fundamentals of Cataloging: Subject Analysis for Copy Catalogers
<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=237>WHEN:  Monday,
December 8th, 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM
WHERE:  In-person at OHIONET, 1500 W. Lane Ave., Columbus, OH  43221
CLICK HERE <http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=237> to
register now!

REMEMBER:  Employees of Premium Level OHIONET members can attend OHIONET’s
in-house webinars and workshops for free.  Not sure what membership level
your library maintains?  Contact us--we’re happy to help.
To check out all our current CE options, CLICK HERE
<https://www.ohionet.org/training-calendar> for the OHIONET Training
Calendar.

If you have questions <shellym at ohionet.org> about or suggestions
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1s7iXT9AwEfaVt4cjUF5RA4SHR4ixOGM1_HVdArx7maw/viewform>
for OHIONET's CE offerings, don't hesitate to contact me.

Shelly S. Miller
Continuing Education Coordinator
OHIONET
 1500 West Lane Avenue