[OPLINLIST] Capes and Community Heroes

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Thu Sep 25 13:03:07 EDT 2014

At Monday’s Summer Reading Program workshop, people shared hero-related
programs they had held in the past and pitched ideas for new programs to
try.

Speakers from PLCH shared a twist on the build-your-own obstacle course.
They started with a superhero outfit and a hula hoop. The hoop stands in
for phone booth. Start the timer and the hero leaps in to don cape, mask
and other accoutrements. Then she’s out to run the course and back to
change into civilian dress.

They also created a superhero photo shoot. On the ground, lay out a blue
sheet for sky and other pieces to create your scene. Then the superhero
lays down but poses like they’re flying. Parents step up onto a ladder
and take photos, looking down, to complete the illusion.

Racheal Mick, SWON’s CE Coordinator, put together a Pinterest board of
community heroes
<http://www.pinterest.com/swonlibraries/summer-reading-2015-community-hero/>.
On it, you’ll find everything program designs, community heroes to
invite to your library, and hero-related books for a range of ages.

Nothing’s like hearing the speakers in person, but several shared slides
and documents you can view at the Children Services Special Interest
Group page. You’ll need to log in with a free SWON site account
<http://swonlibraries.org/?page=Register> first. Then go to the SIG and
click “Group Pages” to get to the Fall 2015 Summer Reading Workshop
page. Or log in and click this link
<http://swonlibraries.org/members/group_content_view.asp?group=142369&id=453794>.

  * Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator

    Fall Luncheon and Membership Meeting

Our Fall Luncheon is on the calendar, November 13th in Hamilton, Ohio
<http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=472473&group=>.
We’ll have several speakers from our region talk about the maker spaces
in their libraries, from a portable box of maker tools to Lane
Libraries’ Community Technology Center which we’ll get to tour. See you
there! <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=472473&group=>

Connect to SWON online: Website <http://www.swonlibraries.org/> :
Calendar <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_list.asp> : Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/SWONLibraries?sk=wall> : Twitter
<http://twitter.com/swonlibraries>

Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks. (Please register for online
classes at least two days before they take place.)

  * *Level-Up Lab: Leading in a Collaborative Environment
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=484315&group=>* -
    (10/1/2014) - SWON Meeting Room
  * *Ethnic Librarians & Staff (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=437545&group=>* -
    (10/3/2014)
  * *Manga for Young Adult Collections
    <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=456554&group=>* -
    (10/7/2014) - Online
  * *Ohio Library Council Convention and Expo
    <http://http//olc.org/conventionandexpo.php>* - (10/8–10/10/2014) -
    Columbus, OH

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org<http://www.swonlibraries.org>
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463
To subscribe or be removed from SWON's Events list, click
here:http://lists.swonlibraries.org/mailman/listinfo/events