[OPLINLIST] Library cards for kids with divorced parents

Dee Ann Salyers DSalyers at wcpl.lib.oh.us
Mon Oct 26 13:50:58 EDT 2015

Hello all,

I am wondering how your library handles issuing library cards to minors with divorced parents?  Specifically, when parents want the child to have one card with Mom listed as the legal guardian, but have a different card with Dad listed as the legal guardian.
Our library only allows one card per patron - except in the case of a teacher who may have two (one for the classroom and one for personal use).

1.       Do you ask the parents to prove custody?

2.       What do you do in the case of joint custody?

Thanks in advance for any input you can give me!

Dee Ann Salyers
Washington-Centerville Public Library