[OPLINLIST] Removal of Memorial Books

Brad Stephens bkstephens at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 08:32:31 EDT 2015

Our library, like many of your libraries, regularly receives donations
from patrons to purchase books in memory or honor of a loved one.  As
we all know, items added to the collection must also be weeded from
the collection.  I would like to know how different libraries handle
removal of donated books from the collection.  Do you simply weed as
any other material or do you retain for a longer period of time?  Do
you notify anyone (donor, next of kin, etc.) that the item is being
withdrawn?  If so, do you offer the item to them?  Do you have any
tips or practices which work well for your library?

Thanks - Brad