[OPLINLIST] Sharpen Your Cataloging Skills with Subject Analysis at OhioNET (Feb. 16th – Mar. 1st)

Shelly Miller shellym at ohionet.org
Wed Jan 13 10:11:33 EST 2016

Please excuse cross-postings.

OhioNET’s online cataloging training continues with our series on Subject Analysis for Copy Catalogers. If you’re responsible for cataloging or records maintenance at your library and could use a better understanding of how subject headings are assigned, then join us online for this three-part webinar set focused on the skills and knowledge that you need to understand and assess existing subject headings in MARC format.

Fundamentals of Cataloging ONLINE: Overview of Subject Analysis for Copy Catalogers (Session 1)<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=298&reset=1>
Get an overview of the process of subject analysis, learning about vocabulary and resources you’ll need to get started.  This session explores the variety of subject heading systems, discusses cataloger’s judgement and bias, and teaches attendees about MARC21 coding for subject headings.
Tuesday, Feb. 16th, 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM (Live, ONLINE)
CLICK HERE<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=298&reset=1> to register.

Fundamentals of Cataloging ONLINE: Subject Analysis Tools for Copy Catalogers (Session 2)<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=299&reset=1>
Find the tools and resources you can use to verify assigned subject headings.  This session will give attendees a better understanding of the rules for how LoC subject headings are assigned to a record, a roadmap to free online tools they can use to assess the quality of existing headings, and a chance to explore RDA-related changes to subject authority records.
Tuesday, Feb. 23rd, 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM (Live, ONLINE)
CLICK HERE<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=299&reset=1> to register.

Fundamentals of Cataloging ONLINE: Subject Analysis Suggested Workflows (Session 3)<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=300&reset=1>
The final session in this series walks attendees through the steps needed to confirm the validity and appropriateness of assigned subject headings, exploring how and when to make changes that make sense for your collection and your users.
Tuesday, Mar. 1st, 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM (Live, ONLINE)
CLICK HERE<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=300&reset=1> to register.

Don’t forget!  Employees of Premium Level OhioNET members can attend OhioNET’s in-house webinars and workshops for free.  Not sure what membership level your library maintains? Select your employer from the drop-down list on the registration page and your member level will automatically be populated on the form.  If you find yourself with questions, contact us<mailto:ohionet at ohionet.org>--we’re happy to help!

Does in-person training work better for you?  We host hands-on, day-long workshops at OhioNET that cover the same content as our online offerings.  Consider joining us in Columbus for

Fundamentals of Cataloging: Introduction and Basic Description<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=311&reset=1>
Tuesday, Mar. 29th, 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM (at OhioNET)
CLICK HERE<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=311&reset=1> for more information.

Fundamentals of Cataloging: Serials<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=312&reset=1>
Tuesday, May 10th, 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM (at OhioNET)
CLICK HERE<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=312&reset=1> for more information.

Fundamentals of Cataloging: Common AV Formats<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=313&reset=1>
Tuesday, Jun. 14th, 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM (at OhioNET)
CLICK HERE<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=313&reset=1> for more information.

Or head to our Training Calendar<http://www.ohionet.org/training-calendar> for a full listing of all our CE events.

Shelly S. Miller
Continuing Education Coordinator