[OPLINLIST] Filtering

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Mon Jun 13 15:41:43 EDT 2016

+1 on Owen's comment. I'm starting to switch my libraries over to OpenDNS
too. For years, I've been using dansguardian + squid as an open source
content filter. The combination works really well, but isn't for the faint
at heart.

However, with the (good) trend for websites to move away from the insecure
HTTP protocol in favor of HTTPS, the ability for centrally-managed content
filters to filter is more and more diminished. With HTTPS, communication is
encrypted between the end user's computer and the web server and without
opening the library up to liability, we can't filter the HTTPS network
traffic.

OpenDNS has some notable failures due to the very nature of how it works,
but it's http/https agnostic. It's also free for individual libraries,
thanks to OPLIN. Plus, it's pretty simple to manage, from what I
understand.

2 cents,
Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools

**  Sent from my Android phone  **