[OPLINLIST] Family Escape Room

Amanda Latva via OPLINLIST oplinlist at lists.oplin.org
Thu Feb 16 12:02:56 EST 2017

ESCAPE FROM THE LIBRARY TIME TRAVEL LAB
@ the Conneaut Public Library

Set Up Time: Roughly two days
Planning: Roughly two weeks
Cost: Free

Hello! So I’ve heard you’re interested in doing a library escape room! Below is how we chose to do it!

I purchased the book “Escape the Game: How to Make Puzzle and Escape Rooms” by Adam Clare M.Ed, scoured Pinterest, and talked to friends and family who have been to escape rooms. No one on staff (including me) have been to one so this was all by what we’ve researched.

Our room theme was an escape room, knowing we had supplies that matched previous summer themes. We paid for nothing extra!!! Because this was for families of all ages, we didn’t want this to be scary. However, we did this as a small fundraiser for our youth department, charging $3.00 a person with groups of 4-8 people. Anyone under sixteen had to have an adult, anyone 16 and up could do on their own.

For a week, we had four time slots a day (half hour increments). Monday-Friday 4-6PM, and Saturday from 10AM-noon. The only thing I would do different is to give us time to reset in between each session. We were fortunate for most of the week that we had wiggle time to do this without interrupting the schedule too much. We had groups of families, a mom with her daughter and her friends, and a group of teachers… so it was really for all ages!

For planning, I found riddles online that I thought had a mixture of hard and easy elements so that all ages would get it. It’s best for teams! Any less than four would have been difficult.

Molly and I were not present in the room. We gave them the attached premise at the beginning, with hard hats, took their cellphones, and waited at my desk (at the escape door). They believed they were locked in the entire time (the last clue would lead them to a particular door).

We didn’t go crazy with sound or light effects, we simply put out a few black lights, dimmed the room lights, and played “Back to the Future” on the big screen.

The first thing we did while setting up was set the room with a whole bunch of random items, post it’s, the bulletin boards, and basically made a mess. Then, we decided where the clues would fit and put them in last. We had the staff come and look at the room without telling them where clues were to see the reaction.

We definitely want to do this again, with a different theme, and more effects. HUGE SUCCESS all around!

If anyone has anymore questions, please feel free to email me!

Amanda Latva

Young Adult Coordinator

INFOhio Coach

Conneaut Public Library